Tuesday, June 22, 2010

System Failure

Blah. So, long story short - I've been working out since the end of March on a consistent basis (short of 2 weeks when we were on vacation) and not only have I NOT lost any weight...I've actually gained weight! WHAT??? Though some of the weight gain may be muscle, I know not all of it is. The reason I know that is because I'm hard pressed to find the new muscle tone. I still feel as soft and pudgy as I did when I started...even more so actually! Ugh. To top it all off, my motivation level has dramatically dropped...especially since I feel like I'm working hard with no visible or felt success (instead I see visible weight gain!) And not only do I have no motivation, I also have NO energy. I feel sluggish and tired all.the.time.

So, though I'm tempted to just throw up my hands and quit...I'm also challenged to find a way to make it work. Last summer I felt like I was at my best and healthiest weight. I felt great, had energy and best of all - I could keep up with the boys. That is where I want to be again. Sure I want to lose weight, but I really want to feel fit and healthy. I want to feel good in my clothes. I want to feel energetic. I want to feel strong.

So now what? Obviously, what I've been doing is NOT EVEN CLOSE to working (even though it's pretty much the same plan that worked when I lost weight last spring.) So I need to regroup and try something different. I do not want to starve myself, nor do I want to do a fad diet. I have been trying hard to watch what I eat, but I guess I need to adjust even the healthy food I've been eating lately.

So, what I want to do is come up with a healthy eating plan. I also need to figure out how to tweak my exercise routine to make it work. This is a work in progress.

I also want to set up a challenge for myself (I'm hoping this is realistic.) I would like to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks...1 lb a week. This is a little intimidating since I've gained weight over the last 12 weeks of trying to lose weight...but I'm hoping the changes I'll be making will help jump start the weight loss and road to feeling fit.

Here is the timeline I'm thinking...

10 Week Challenge Dates:

Week 1: June 21-27

Week 2: June 28-July 4

Week 3: July 5-11

Week 4: July 12-18

Week 5: July 19-25

Week 6: July 26-August 1

Week 7: August 2-8

Week 8: August 9-15

Week 9: August 16-22

Week 10: August 23-29

I am really hoping to be more consistent at blogging about this challenge. Hopefully on a weekly basis?

More to come!

1 comment:

Teniah Ashlyn said...

Yeah, you are finally back to blogging!!! =) Welcome back, and no worries about the weight gain, you sound like you are all over it and ready for the challenge...I am excited to hear about what changes you make for your eating habits and stuff. Don't be discouraged I haven't lost weight in about six months now and I have definitely been running more. Sometimes it's just like that...I have decided that part of my problem is getting older. I think our bodies just respond differently - certain foods all of a sudden make us feel like crap or put weight on us when we used to be able to eat them just fine, certain exercises just don't work the same way that they used to etc....It's really about adapting. I am working on this for myself as well. I am still trying to lose those last 5 lbs that I have been targeting for the past six months! haha...try keeping a food journal and write down how you feel after you eat certain things. Kicking dairy, gluten, wheat and sugar for a while might improve your energy level? Try making some green smoothies and really filling up on fruits/vege and see if that helps...just a thought. Also if you aren't already taking vitamins I know that is what helps me. =) Best of luck to you, my friend! You are on the right track, and you are not alone!!!